Exhibitions, Arts, Festivals
Ukraine can hardly be attributed to the world art centre. Ongoing financial hardships affects arts really hard time here. Though many small private galleries closed or are balancing on the edge, some art institutions and initiatives of international value are worth to be mentioned here:
- Mystetskyi Arsenal (http://artarsenal.in.ua/eng/) – the largest art ground in Ukraine, which hosts enormous art events of the international rate;
- PinchukArtCentre (http://pinchukartcentre.org/en/) – the most reputable Ukrainian international centre for contemporary art.
Ukraine also holds a few yearly cultural events that exceed the local level:
- Kiev international film festival ‘Molodist’ (http://www.molodist.com/en/), which embraces the contest sections on student films, first short films and first full-feature films;
- Odessa international film festival (http://www.oiff.com.ua/en/index.htm);
- Koktebel Jazz festival (http://koktebel.info);
- ‘Jazz in Kiev’ festival (http://jazzinkiev.com/);
- 'Kazantip Republic' session (http://kazantip-republic.com/) – annual youth music and arts beach convention
- 'French Spring Festival' – theatre, cinema, music, contemporary arts
You can also visit versatile art events as exhibitions, art festivals and performances at your local level. They have poor promotion in most cases, but if you track cultural life of your city, you may get aware about them in local media. For example, some cinemas in Kiev set up foreign language film sessions from time to time. 'GogolFest' theatre festival by famous stage director Vlad Troitzky has been striving for taking permanent position in annual cultural events calendar, suffering from poor budget.
Such Kiev yearly festivals may be mentioned here:
- 'Rock-Sich' – rock festival;
- 'Kraina Mriy' (The Dreamland) – folk music and arts festival by famous musician Oleg Skrypka, held twice a year: in Winter and in Summer.
If you are ethnic crafts or cuisine addict, we would recommend you to track activities in Lviv (http://lviv.travel/en/what_to_do/stolucya-festiyvaliv) and the Trans-Carpathian region for their numerous folk music open-airs, vine, cheese and chocolate festivals.
Visit our Forum! These related topics may be interesting for you